Head of the laboratory:
Leonida I. Sapunova
PhD in biology
Phone: +375 (17) 317-42-09; 267-62-09
The laboratory was founded in 1966.
Main investigation trends:
- screening of valuable microbial enzyme producers;
- engineering of microbial strains using molecular genetic methods;
- biogenesis and control of enzyme synthesis;
- characterization of properties and defining functional significance of the enzymes;
- modification of enzyme proteins to upgrade their properties;
- designing enzyme nanoconjugates and nanocatalysts possessing unique characteristics;
- biotechnologies for production and application of enzyme preparations.
Results of researh activities:
- producers of glucose oxidase, xylose (glucose) isomerase, cellulase, phytase, beta-galactosidase were selected and described, biogenesis processes and effectors of enzyme synthesis were studied;
- polymorphic nature of glucose oxidase-producing fungi was established in submerged culture, correlation of enzyme generation with strain morphology was revealed and morphogenic agents were identified;
- genes encoding beta-galactosidase, xylose (glucose) isomerase, glucose oxidase, phytase were isolated, sequenced, amplified and cloned in homo- and heterologous microbial species. Competitive recombinant strains – enzyme producers were derived;
- fungal glucose oxidases were chemically modified to generate enhanced thermal stability. Specificity of interaction between native/modified glucose oxidases and various mediators was determined, efficient mediators of bioelectrocatalysis were selected, prospects of introducing enzymes as components of biofuel cells and biosensors were demonstrated;
- bioconjugates based on glucose oxidase and nanoparticles of noble metals were produced, optimal make-up of nanobiocomposite serving as receptor of glucose biosensor was defined;
- technologies of manufacturing enzyme preparations (glucose oxidase, xylose (glucose) isomerase, beta-galactosidase) and feed prebiotic «CryptoLife» have been developed, procedures and regulations for producing cellulase preparation «Compliferm» and phytase preparation «INCRIFOS» are almost completed;
- the methods of producing enzyme-based bioelectrochemical sensor «Glucosen» for assays of glucose level in blood and glucose isomerase catalyzing continuous glucose conversion into fructose were elaborated;
- laboratory processes for fabrication of glucose oxidase used in clinical diagnostics and feed supplement «CryptoLife» are scaled up at Biotechnological Center of the Institute. Modified «Glucosen» technology with improved biosensor characteristics was applied at production facilities of Minsk Research Institute of Radiomaterials.
- Effect of some redox mediators on FAD fluorescence of glucose oxidase fromPenicillium adametzii LF F-2044.1 / R. Mikhailova [et al.] // Enzyme Microb. Technol. – 2015. – Vol. 72. – P. 10–15.
- Biofuel cell based on glucose oxidase from Penicillium funiculosum 46.1 and horseradish peroxidase / A. Ramanavicius [et al.] // Chem. Eng. J. – 2015. – Vol. 264. – P. 165–173.
- Enzymatic activity of Arthrobacter genus bacteria and their genotypic identification / L. I. Sapunova [et al.] // Doclady of the National Academy of Sciences of Belarus. – 2014. – Vol. 58, № 4. – P. 71–77.
- Specificity of glucose oxidase from Penicillium funiculosum 46.1 towards some redox mediators / T. Semashko [et al.] // Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. – 2013. – Vol. 171, № 7. – P. 1739–1749.
- Lobanok, A. G. Certain aspects of enzyme biotechnology: hydrolases and oxidoreductases / A. G. Lobanok, R. V. Mikhailova, L. I. Sapunova // Microbial biotechnologies: basic and applied aspects: collect papers. – Minsk: Belaruskaya Navuka, 2013. – Vol. 5. – P. 504–523.
- Lobanok, A. G. Biotechnology of microbial enzyme preparation for isomerization of glucose into fructose / A. G. Lobanok, L. I. Sapunova // Two contest decades of BRFFI: 1991–2011 / Belarusian Republican Foundation of Fundamental Investigations; ed. V. A. Orlovich. – Minsk: Belaruskaya Navuka, 2012. – P. 601–613.