HEAD OF THE LABORATORY:
Emily I. Kolomiets
Corresponding Member of NAS of Belarus,
Doctor of Biological Science,
Emeritus Scientist of the Republic of Belarus
The laboratory was founded in 2000.
Main investigation trends:
- isolation, screening and selection of microbial antagonists and entomopathogens, assessment of mechanisms governing physiological activity and viability of bacteria to raise efficiency and stability of biopesticide action;
- genetic engineering of hyperactive microbial cultures to design preparations of novel generation for biological control of infectious diseases and pests attacking animal and plant hosts;
- deciphering antagonistic or insecticidal potential of tested strains to elucidate the nature of antimicrobial metabolites;
- development of energy- and resource-saving technologies to produce biological control agents, probiotics, disinfectants for sanitary treatment of stock farms;
- selection and genetic engineering of active microbial strains to derive technologies aimed at biosynthesis of butanol, ethanol, biogas, other types of eco-friendly biofuel;
- biodeterioration of natural and industrial materials, development of ecofriendly techniques to ensure protection from mould damage.
Results of researh activities:
- collection of bacterial strains representing genera Bacillus, Streptomyces, Pseudomonas of high commercial value due to elevated antagonistic activity towards plant and animal pathogens was set up; mechanisms of antagonistic action of strains intended for agricultural introduction were deciphered, key factors governing synthesis of metabolites in tested cultures were optimized;
- theoretical principles of technologies for eco-safe biocontrol agents based on bacteria-antagonists and entomopathogens were developed.
- technological procedures were designed and scaled up to pilot-plant level for bioinsecticide «Baciturin» (to control pests in agricultural crops), for biopesticides «Fruitin» (to counter diseases in fruit and berry varieties), «Phytoprotectin» (to shield vegetables from pathologies), «Betaprotectin» (to control clamp rot of sugar beet), biofungicide «Ecogreen» (to protect cucumbers and green spicy crops from infections in small-scale hydroponic culture). The latest laboratory achievements include agents for biological control of potato pathogens and pests: complex preparation «Xantrel» showing antimicrobial and insecticidal action and biofungicide «Bactosol» intended for use during vegetation and storage; prophylactic-therapeutic probiotics «Bacinyl», «Bacinyl-K», «Vetosporin», feed additives «Sporobact», «Sporobact-K», stock farm disinfectant «Enatin».
- Probiotics / G. Novik [et al.] // Biotransformation of Waste Biomass into High Value Biochemicals / S. K. Brar [et al.] (eds.). – New York: Springer Science+Business Media, 2014. – P. 187–235.
- Construction of sporulating bacterial strain of genus Bacillus – the basis of novel probiotic for poultry farming / E. I. Kolomyets [et al.] // 5th Congress of European Microbiologists (FEMS 2013), Leipzig, Germany, July 21–25, 2013.
- Sludge and lignin as growth media for the production of antimicrobial substances by selected microorganisms / M. Mandryk [et al.] // Arch. of Phytopathol. and Plant Protection. – 2009. – Vol. 42, № 8. – P. 783–795.
- Significance of cuticle degrading enzymes with special reference to lipase in biocontrol of sugarcane wooly aphids / S. Chavan [et al.] // J. Mycol. Plant Pathol. – 2009. – Vol. 39, № 1. – Р. 118–123.
- Kolomiets, E. I. New approaches in development of biological control products / E. I. Kolomiets, T. V. Romanovskaya, N. V. Sverchkova // Biotechnology: State of the Art and Prospects for Development / ed. by G. E. Zaikov. – New York: Nova Science Publishers, 2008. – Р. 165–174.
- Bacteriophage receptors, mechanisms of phage adsorption and penetration into host cell/ E. I. Kolomiets [et al.] // Polish J. Microbiol. – 2010. – Vol. 59, No 3. – Р. 145–155.