HEAD OF THE LABORATORY:
Galina I. Novik, Ph.D.
Phone: +375 (17) 268-61-21
Fax: +375 (17) 267-47-66
The laboratory was founded in 1995.
Main investigation trends:
- depositing and maintenance of microbial cultures valuable for different areas of microbiology and biotechnology in a specialized collection fund;
- selection and genetic engineering of highly active strains to develop biopreparations of novel generation;
- molecular-genetic identification of bacteria, bacteriophages, filamentous fungi and yeasts, studies on physiology of microorganisms representing diverse taxonomic groups;
- optimization of long-term preservation methods for microbial cultures in collection depository;
- classification of information on deposited cultures, setting up data banks describing microbial collection stock, consulting on identification and preservation of microorganisms, depositing of microbial strains for patent procedure, provision of cultures upon request.
Results of researh activities:
- currently over 1700 microbial cultures are deposited at Belarusian collection of non-pathogenic microorganisms;
- Belarusian collection of non-pathogenic microorganisms is rated as the National Asset of the Republic of Belarus;
- the collection is registered as a member of World Federation of Culture Collections (WFCC).
- catalogues and databases of microbial cultures comprising entries of type, reference and industrial strains were published in Russian and English versions;
- guidelines for depositing microbial strains at Belarusian collection of non-pathogenic microorganisms were formulated;
- procedures for washless method of low-temperature conservation of bacteria, bacteriophages, filamentous fungi and yeasts were introduced. Optimal regimens of refrigerating-defrosting and desiccation of cell suspensions and bacterial concentrates were defined;
- molecular-genetical identification of microorganisms from different taxonomic groups is performed on a permanent basis
- Probiotics / G. Novik [et al.] // Biotransformation of Waste Biomass into High Value Biochemicals / S. K. Brar (eds.) [et al.]. – New York: Springer Science+Business Media, 2014. – P. 187–235.
- Belarusian collection of non-pathogenic microorganisms: BIM Collection – WDCM 909 / G. Novik [et al.] // World Directory of Collections of Cultures of Microorganisms / M. A. Juncai (eds.) [et al.]. – 6th ed. – Iss. WFCC-MIRCEN World Data Center of Microorganisms, TG-AIM, ICSU, 2013. – P. 72–74.
- Kiseleva, E. P. Probiotics as immunomodulators: substances, mechanisms and therapeutic benefits / E. P. Kiseleva, G. I. Novik // Microbial pathogens and strategies for combating them: science, technology and education / ed. by A. Mendez-Vilas. – Badajoz: Formatex Research Center, 2013/2014. – Vol. 3. – P. 1864–1876.
- Izhyk, A. Extraction and fractionation of polar lipids from bifidobacteria by supercritical carbon dioxide (scCO2) / A. Izhyk, G. Novik, E. Szwajcer Dey // J. Supercritical Fluids. – 2012.– Vol. 62. – P. 149–154.
- Cryopreservation of bifidobacteria and bacteriophages in Belarusian collection of non-pathogenic microorganisms / G. Novik [et al.] // J. Culture Collections. – 2008–2009. – Vol. 6. – P. 76–84.
- Analysis of lipids of probiotic bacteria / A. Sidarenka [et al.] // FEBS Congress-2014, Paris, Aug. 30 – Sept. 4, 2014. // FEBS J. – 2014. – Vol. 281, Suppl. 1. – P. 651.